On Thursday night, Brinley was playing and being silly with Mason. They were rolling around on my bed and the floor. I was worried that their laughter would turn into crying so Chase and I were trying to get them to play elsewhere. Chase grabbed Brinley's hand to help her up and she started crying. I figured she got her feelings hurt and I got her to calm down. But every time she put weight on her hand to play with toys she would cry. We watched her for awhile but she kept complaining and asking us to kiss it and for a bandaid. She is a tough girl so this was very unusual for her. After a few hours of her arm hanging limp at her side I was sure it was broken. Since it was late and I wanted to avoid the ER, we wrapped it and put it in a dishcloth sling and put her to bed.
She slept fine but was still favoring her arm in the morning. After many, many phone calls and no available appointments with an orthopedic surgeon, I took her to our pediatrician. I assumed that she broke her arm playing with Mason and it wasn't until Chase pulled on her arm that it really started hurting. While the doctor was examining her it was obvious it wasn't broken and more likely that she had a dislocated elbow. That sounded bad and I assured the doctor that Chase didn't use excessive force and I was told that it doesn't take much for that to happen. The doctor tried three times to get it back into place while Brinley screamed but she didn't feel a good pop so she sent us for X-rays. Finally around 5:30 we heard that the X-ray was normal. So either the doctor got it back in or it was just a nurse maids elbow (whatever that means). Right after that at dinner she started using it more and more. For a couple days she said ow when I got her dressed or in her carseat. I'm so glad she didn't break her arm and I hope she never does!
So cute in her jammies with her bandaid!

No comments:
Post a Comment