Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Little Update

We haven't been very exciting lately. Chase is excited to be back in school (ha ha) although he doesn't attend very often. He has visited the golf courses regularly. Boxer is doing well. He's always cute and entertaining. A couple weeks ago he scared me pretty bad. He was eating by me and he started to act really weird and I realized he was choking! I grabbed him but I had no idea what to do. All I was thinking about was a story Chase's dad told me about his dog. So I followed his example and opened Boxer's mouth and pushed the mushy food down his throat! I had to do it a few times and I still wasn't sure it helped but all the sudden he looked at me and started licking my face! When he finally drank some water, I figured he was fine. Crazy dog!

Chase has used some of his free time to do some home improvement projects. One of our windows has leaked since we moved in. It was supposed to be fixed but it obviously wasn't. Chase thought he should remove the dry wall around the window in case it was rotten. When he took it off above the window, he got a nice surprise! Hundreds of carpenter ants were mad that he found their nest! Disgusting! They don't eat the wood but they make tunnels in it so it had to be replaced.

If that wasn't bad enough, this is what was under the siding! Chase said I would have thrown up...there were more ants and eggs! Apparently the eggs need to be in a moist place and since there was a leak, it was the perfect spot. I don't think these pictures do it justice.


Chase took the window completely out and one night we had plywood covering the hole. We have a window again but still need some paint to finish it. It's so nice that Chase can do all these projects. He saved us a bunch of money!

Since Chase loves construction and since school isn't too demanding, he found a job. He is redoing a bathroom with a couple of friends. I don't see him much anymore but the extra money will be nice.

6 comments:

Darcie said...

Glad to hear that Boxer is okay!! I am glad that you remember what my dad had done, cause I would have no idea what to do with a dog that was chocking.

I love having a handy husband. I agree I think it saves a lot of $$ to do it yourself. I am SO glad that you guys fixed that window when you did a few more month and that could have been so much worse.

Glad to see that Chase will be working and bring in some extra $$ with gas being so HIGH and food prices going up so fast also. any extra is always nice.:)

Hiller Family said...

Seriously that sucks about Boxer. I find I usually panic whenever my kids choke, I'm sure I will do the same thing when Porter chokes. I am glad to hear everything turned out okay. I was also glad to hear you found the ants nest. However what an awful job. Here's to HANDY husbands! I know mine comes in handy a lot! Avery says hi and to save a time slot for us while your in town. Do you guys have time for a bbq/swim party at my moms? I know your busy so let us know..

daveandvicky said...

Hey Guys,
Technotard is always a day late and a dollar short.
Glad to hear boxer is ok. His throat is now wider.
Boxer and Cutter our now throat brothers. Checkout
our blog page at davevicky.blogspot.com

**Cunningham's** said...

Ewh! Welcome to my world when we ripped our house apart. It was full of fun treasures like that. You almost get to come home again YAY!!

Molly said...

I was looking at your blog and James saw a picture of boxer, he suggested we try and steal him...what do you think of that? You better be on the look out for my husband! He loves your dog...

Perry's said...

Shayne was telling me about this, that is so gross!! Glad you got it fixed and that Chase is so freakin handy. Sure glad he is teaching Shayne all his tricks - thanks!! Oh and Boxer is just as cute as ever we need to get our dogs together more! And... I'm going to need to hear more about this choking incident, what the heck? Glad he's ok!