Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Lila Fay Kay Stanley

When I got to Utah, my mom informed me that my grandma was in the hospital.  She has had a bad heart valve for a long time but it had gotten worse, making it hard for her to breath.  After meeting with cardiologists and hearing what my grandma wanted to do, it was decided that she would have open heart surgery to fix it.  But being immobile in the hospital was too much for her body and recovering started to seem impossible.  I still can't really recall what happened next but it happened too fast.  My mom got a call that she was in a lot of pain and was put on morphine.  That isn't like grandma, she never complained about anything so I know it must have been bad.  That night it really sunk it what was happening and my sister and I cried as we tried to watch Dancing With the Stars.  Up to this point I still hadn't seen her so we made plans to go the next day.  On the way to the hospital, about 10 minutes away, we got the call that she had passed away.  What a hard thing, to be so close and not make it.  I just hope she was still in that hospital room when we did get there.  I wish so much that I could change things and get to the hospital while she was still grandma.  I think I was kind of putting it off because I knew how hard that visit would be and in the beginning I figured I would see her before or after surgery.  It breaks my heart that my cousins took pictures with her one last time and recorded her voice sharing her recipes and I didn't have the chance.  I wish she could have seen Mason and Brinley again.  I'm so glad I'll get to see her again.

In Loving Memory...

Lila Fay Kay Stanley, after living a long and full life of 89 years, returned home to our Heavenly Father on October 24, 2012 to meet her loved ones in a long-awaited reunion.

Lila was born on March 5, 1923 in Mona, Utah to Katie and Edward Kay.  She lived most of her life in Mona.

She married her sweetheart, LaMar Stanley, August 28, 1942 in the Salt Lake Temple.  They had been married 47 years when LaMar passed away August 28, 1989.  They were blesssed with four children, Nyra (Roger) Nielson, Ephraim; Rhonda (Mac Niel) Ogden, St. George; Kevin (Janice) Stanley, Mona; LuAnn (Scott) Christensen, West Valley.  She loved and enjoyed her 17 grandchildren and 36 great-grandchildren.

Mom's life was spent caring for her family, cooking delicious meals, sewing beautiful clothes and quilts, and keeping her home clean and delightful.  She loved to read books, play games, do crossword puzzles, watch sports, and just be with her family.  We will always treasure her sense of humor and quick wit.

Along with homemaking, she was a dedicated school secretary at Juab High School for nearly 25 years.  She had a special love for all students.  She knew them by name and remembered them throughout her life.  She was a faithful member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  She served in many positions but her favorite was teaching Sunday School which she did for many years.

At our wedding.

With Mason (about 7 months old).

I wish I had a better memory of her but I will always remember the yummy food grandma made.  I loved her pies, peanut butter bars, soups and banana/pineapple salad.  I remember her coming up to see us and going to McDonald's.  She would always get a fish sandwich and fight with my mom over who was paying.  After leaving the hospital the day she passed, we stopped for lunch and had one for her! I remember her doing her crossword puzzles with her blue pens with the erasers.  Grandma was such a sweet lady with a wonderful smile and laugh.  I really admired her for many reasons and I wish I would have told her more.  I tried to in the cards I would send her but it was difficult for me to put into words.  She just glowed with the Spirit and you could feel it being around her.  She always remembered ALL our birthdays and I loved getting together with everyone for Christmas.  I will miss grandma very much!

 My mom and her siblings at the funeral.  They all spoke and gave beautiful tributes.  Funerals are always so hard for me because I'm a big bawl baby but they are also very special and spiritual.  Several times at the church I thought I heard grandma's voice and I got excited to see her.  Sometimes it was hard to believe she was gone and other times it seemed like it had been awhile.  


 My mom was worried she wouldn't like her casket because grandma preferred color.  It was beautiful and I'm sure she was happy with it.

 It was a beautiful day!  It was fun to see my family that I don't see often.

 Chad was so great to help with Mason throughout the day.  They went on walks and collected rocks and had snacks.  They kids did well during the funeral, thanks to Chad and Tara.


A beautiful view of Mt. Nebo.  Till we meet again, Grandma!

2 comments:

Perry's said...

So sorry Raquel I'm sure she was a great lady. Glad you were able to be there.

~Tara said...

Made me cry just reading about it. Good post. I remember all those cute things Grandma did too!!! We'll miss her so much, but know she's loving every minute with Grandpa!!