Monday, February 11, 2008

Dry Pack Canning

For some reason I never made it the cannery in Utah. So when I had the opportunity to go here with Sherri's ward, I figured I should go see what it's all about. Being away from family and in a tornado zone, makes me aware that I need to be prepared for an emergency. Now I'm proud to say I have started our food storage! I only got 4 cans and some potato pearls but it's better than nothing.

I must say I loved the uniforms required for the assembly line! I felt like I was back in elementary serving school lunch.

Sherri's job was to use the heavy machinery to seal the cans. She did an excellent job!

My job was not so exciting. I was in charge of putting the oxygen absorber packets in the cans and placing the lids on.

Here is some of our work. It was interesting to see the variety of food that's available. It was hard to know what to get. I ended up getting dried apples, black beans, macaroni, and oats. Yummy!

This is the little place. I understand the one in Utah is three times the size but we should be grateful there's one only 30 minutes away.

So if you don't have one, get a food storage because to quote Sherri, "it's better to be 2 years too early than 5 minutes too late!"

5 comments:

~Tara said...

Oh Wow!! I absolutely loved your cute outfits!

Perry's said...

I'm so glad you came with me, wasn't that so fun! :) Now you are just that much more prepared. 4 cans is 4 more than you had before, so good job!

Hiller Family said...

Thats a great start. Now I need to show you how to become a coupon queen and you will be totally prepared before you know it.

Darcie said...

I had my first visit to the cannery a few weeks ago. It was alot of FUN!! I love the outfit!

Andrew and Lauren said...

Sounds like it was fun. I'm so glad I know about your blog now. So did you go on a Saturday or something? I should go to the cannery sometime. Cute pics!